A. TRADEMARK RULES OF USE
LSI trademarks are a part of our Company’s intellectual property. Our trademarks are an invaluable asset to our Company and an important tool for promoting our brands and products. Proper usage is the key ingredient in protection of our trademarks.
Great care must be taken to use our LSI trademarks properly to avoid the unintentional loss of the exclusive right to use the mark. The proper use of a trademark is necessary to prevent the trademark from losing its distinctiveness and effectiveness as a trademark. Using a trademark improperly can result in the mark becoming a generic term. Proper use of a trademark is ensured by complying with the following rules of trademark usage.
The following rules apply to all LSI employees, subsidiaries, customers, consultants, outside vendors, licensee, and other third parties. LSI reserves the right to modify these rules as deemed necessary.
1 Trademark Symbols:
1.1 ALWAYS use a proper trademark symbol with an LSI Trademark. For registered trademarks, the proper trademark symbol is ®. This symbol signifies that the trademark has been officially registered with an official government trademark office such as the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. For unregistered trademarks, the proper trademark symbol is ™. This symbol is used for trademarks that are pending registration OR for Common Law marks (marks that have not been officially registered with the government). The appropriate trademark symbol should be placed at the upper right corner of the trademark and need only appear with the first (1st) or most prominent mention of an LSI Trademark.
2 Trademark Usage:
2.1 ALWAYS use a trademark as an adjective modifying a generic term.
Example: PayloadPlus® communication processors
2.2 NEVER use a trademark as a noun or a verb.
Correct: Virtual Pipeline™ processors
Incorrect: LSI’s Virtual Pipeline™
2.3 NEVER use a trademark in a possessive form (or make it plural):
Correct: WarpDrive™ storage systems
Incorrect: WarpDrive’s storage systems
2.4 ALWAYS use an appropriate descriptor (generic noun) after the trademark which identifies the product use accurately:
Correct: Axxia® processors
Incorrect: Axxia® televisions
2.5 ALWAYS use the correct trademark format and spelling:
Correct: MegaRAID® storage technology
Incorrect: Megaraid® storage technology
2.6 NEVER modify a trademark through the use of abbreviations:
Correct: Link Mapper™ device
Incorrect: LM™ device
2.7 ALWAYS distinguish a trademark from surrounding text (i.e., Italics, Bolding, and/or Underlining):
Example: StarPro® processors
3 LSI Trademark:
LSI is our company trade name, as well as our company trademark. A trade name is used by a company in its business activities. A trade name is not used with a product or service to identify its source and does not meet the definition of a trademark.
However, when we use our company name to describe our products and/or services, we are using it as a trademark.
3.1 Do not use the LSI trademark in a possessive form (or make it plural):
Correct: LSI® network processors
Incorrect: LSI’s network processors
NOTE: The exception to this rule is when LSI is NOT being used as a trademark to describe a company product or service. Following are examples of the exception to this rule:
Correct: LSI’s leadership team; or LSI’s success
3.2 Mark LSI with a R symbol when it is being used as a trademark to describe a company product or service:
Correct: LSI® storage systems
Incorrect: LSI® employees
4 LSI Trademark Notice:
4.1 ALWAYS provide a trademark attribution or notice identifying LSI Corporation as the owner of the mark as follows: "[LSI Trademark] is a trademark or registered trademark of LSI Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.” This notice can be placed at the end of a document as a footnote.
5 Design Trademarks (Logos):
5.1 Alterations or modifications to an LSI Trademark, including changes to any design, color, proportion, text or other visual feature of the LSI Logo, are prohibited.
5.2 Always comply with current, applicable design or logo guidelines for an LSI Logo.
5.3 Always maintain a buffer space around an LSI Logo to space the LSI Logo apart from other designs, text or trademarks.
5.4 Never combine an LSI Logo with any other logo, design, word, slogan, symbol or other trademark.
6 Use of Another’s Trademark:
6.1 Fair Use: The trademark laws permit the use of another company’s mark if such use is made in good faith for the purpose of merely describing that company’s product or to accurately indicate compatibility with that company’s product. NEVER use another company’s mark in a way that would confuse consumers as to the source of the other company’s product/service, or which could improperly imply an association with the other company or its product/service. The use of a trademark attribution notice indicating the mark belongs to another is evidence of the use of the mark in good faith, and should always be used when possible. This trademark attribution notice should be placed at the end of a document as a footnote.
Also, place the appropriate TM or R symbol after a 3rd party mark, at point of first mention.
6.2 Licensed Use: The trademark laws prevent the unauthorized use of another party’s trademark to market a product. A trademark license enables the trademark owner to authorize others to use the mark, and to control how the other party uses the mark in connection with the other party’s product. The trademark license may contain detailed instructions regarding the use of the mark. It is important to check the trademark license agreement to ensure the authorized use of the mark is consistent with those instructions.
B. LOGO TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Third party use of the LSI and Design Logo (Logo) with their products and/or services requires a trademark license from LSI Corporation.
Third parties may only use the Logo under limited circumstances without a license. Referential use by a 3rd party is permitted if such use is made in good faith for the purpose of merely describing your company’s product or to accurately indicate compatibility with your company’s product. Any reference the Logo must be pursuant to the terms and conditions set forth herein. Any use that does not comport with these terms and conditions is strictly prohibited without prior authorization in writing from LSI Corporation:
1. Use of the Logo may only be used to refer or relate to LSI Corporation and its products and/or services, and for no other purpose.
2. Any use of the Logo will be accompanied by the following trademark attribution notice: "LSI and the LSI and Design Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of LSI Corporation."
3. Use of the Logo must be truthful and not misleading and should never confuse consumers as to the source of your company’s product or service. Do not use the Logo to imply your products, services, publications or web sites are sponsored, endorsed or licensed by LSI Corporation or are otherwise affiliated with LSI Corporation.
4. Do not use the Logo to disparage LSI Corporation or its products or services.
5. All use of the Logo must inure to the benefit of LSI Corporation.
6. The Logo must be used as provided by LSI Corporation with no changes, including but not limited to changes in the color, proportion, size, spacing requirements, or design, or removal of any words, artwork, or trademark symbols.
7. The Logo may not be animated, morphed, or otherwise distorted in perspective or appearance.
8. The Logo must only appear in a horizontal position.
9. Our Logo must stand alone and may not be combined with any other object, including but not limited to, other logos, trademarks, slogan, words, graphics, photos, numbers, design features, or symbols.
10. The Logo must never be used to represent the word LSI in text, including a headline or body text.
11. Do not use the Logo or any LSI trademark as part of your product name, service name, or Company name.
12. The Logo must not be incorporated or used in any manner as part of, or in close proximity to another company's name, domain name, product or service name, logo, trade dress, design, slogan, or other trademarks.
13. Always maintain a buffer space around the Logo to space the Logo apart from other designs, text or trademarks.
14. Your company name, logo or product/service name must also appear in materials containing the Logo, and must be displayed more prominently than the Logo.
15. Use only approved LSI Logo artwork provided by LSI Corporation. Inquiries on how to access the LSI Logo artwork can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
LSI Corporation reserves the right in its sole discretion to terminate or modify permission to use the Logo, and may request that third parties modify or delete any use of the Logo, in LSI Corporation’s sole judgment, if use of the Logo does not comply with these terms and conditions or might otherwise impair LSI Corporation’s rights in the Logo. LSI Corporation further reserves the right to object to unfair use or misuses of its Logo or other violations of applicable law.
Using the Logo indicates that you read and accept these “Logo Terms & Conditions”. If you do not accept these terms, you are not authorized to use this Logo. These terms govern your use of this Logo, and any content or material that LSI Corporation may make available regarding this Logo.
Please send inquiries regarding LSI trademark usage to: email@example.com