LSI Extends Dual-Core MegaRAID Controller Offering to Enhance Flash-Based Caching and Data Protection
New 6Gb/s SATA+SAS RAID controllers deliver the highest available server RAID performance, unlocking the full storage I/O benefits of solid state drives
CeBIT 2012, HANNOVER, Germany, March 5, 2012 – LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) today announced a new line of MegaRAID® SATA+SAS controller cards designed to deliver the high I/O transaction performance required to accelerate the most demanding database applications and datacenter workloads. Powered by the LSI® dual-core 6Gb/s SAS RAID-on-Chip (ROC), the new controllers deliver data quickly and reliably to mission-critical applications by combining the industry’s highest server RAID performance, achieving up to 200,000 RAID 5 random I/Os per second (IOPS), with intelligent flash-based caching and enhanced data protection capabilities.
Flash-based features and functionality:
- Supports MegaRAID Fast Path software, providing high-performance I/O acceleration for solid state drives (SSDs) connected to a MegaRAID controller. The advanced software option unlocks the full performance benefits of hybrid or SSD arrays, delivering up to 465,000 RAID 5 random IOPS for applications requiring high transactional throughput like e-commerce and data warehousing workloads.
- Supports MegaRAID CacheCade® Pro 2.0 read/write SSD caching software that dramatically accelerates application I/O performance for hard disk drive (HDD)-based arrays by intelligently caching frequently accessed data to SSDs. MegaRAID controllers featuring CacheCade Pro 2.0 software deliver up to 13X more transactions per second and an 82 percent cost savings compared to HDD-only arrays.
- Supports MegaRAID CacheVault™ technology, providing flash-based cache data protection from power and server failures by automatically transferring data stored in MegaRAID controller cache to NAND flash memory in the event of a power failure or other system interruption. CacheVault creates a greener, lower total cost cache protection solution by eliminating the need for Lithium-ion battery backup units, and their hardware and maintenance costs.
“Cost-effective, superior performance is driving many datacenter managers to flash-based storage solutions to meet the challenges of rapidly growing data volumes and I/O-intensive workloads," said Thomas Pavel, director of channel sales EMEA, LSI. "With the new CacheCade Pro 2.0 software on a dual-core MegaRAID controller solution, LSI helps customers maximize the performance and cost benefits of flash technology to deliver the lowest cost per I/O and gigabyte.”
Pricing(1) and availability:
The controllers are expected to be generally available in April through the LSI worldwide network of distributors, system integrators and VARs.
The products will be demonstrated at CeBIT 2012
(Stand #D42 in the Planet Reseller pavilion) taking place March 6-10, 2012, at the Exhibition Grounds in Hannover, Germany.
LSI technology demonstrations will include a real-time database acceleration demo showcasing the dramatic improvement in application performance that can be gained by using LSI next-generation caching hardware and software solutions. Technology demos will also feature next-generation LSI MegaRAID and host bus adapter products based on the forthcoming PCI Express® 3.0 specification.
LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) designs semiconductors and software that accelerate storage and networking in datacenters and mobile networks. Our technology is the intelligence critical to enhanced application performance, and is applied in solutions created in collaboration with our partners. More information is available at www.lsi.com
(1) Estimated MSRP. Actual prices may vary.
(2) Pricing reflects 9285CV-8e controller with CacheVault technology included.
LSI, the LSI & Design logo, CacheCade, CacheVault and MegaRAID are trademarks or registered trademarks of LSI Corporation.
All other brand or product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.